Thursday, March 11, 2010

61/365

The looney vans are out, I can only conclude it is because the legislature is in session. We have seen several of them driving around the Capitol area these past few days.
As I took these photos I was thinking about the "liberty for all" part that people seem to spout often. What does it mean? I like to think it is freedom for all people to think, worship and live their lives according to their own convictions; as long as those convictions aren't hurting or endangering others.
Liberty of person and spirit is also about choice, you cannot have liberty for all if you are trying to force everyone to think the way you do. Free society is usually achieved at a great cost exactly because it requires people to give up desire to control everyone else.
A society cannot be free and have everyone thinking the same...
And yes, that would include these irrational, deluded people who tend to hide behind religion. I say hide behind religion because you cannot choose to only be ethical and moral when it suits your purposes... you cannot only use the tidbits of religious scripture that support your views and completely ignore the enormuous parts of it that don't.
It doesn't work that way, you cannot say abortion is murder and therefore wrong only to turn around and kill the person that doesn't agree with you, commit murder yourself.
It is very easy to dismiss people like these , say they are the irrational minority and not a threat to the free society. What scares me is that this particular section of society doesn't seem to be satisfied with just expressing their views in a non-violent way, indeed they are prepared to kill.
To try and "netralize" them, force them to change their views would be acting in the same irrational way they are... but, how do we protect our children from the violence? ... violence of thought, violence of spirit, violence that endagers their very right to freedom... the same freedom that allowed this hard right to form and grow...
On a lighter note, spring is really coming in full force. I couldn't resist to take the photo below:




2 comments:

  1. Interesting post and I totally agree. I guess I have lived here so long now that I tend to not even see these people who crawl out of the woodwork when the legislature is in session. Those flowers really are pretty! I chased a robin around my yard yesterday afternoon trying to get a good picture, but come away with nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what the flowers were :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails