
April 11th
Blue- eyed grass, Sisyrinchium atlanticum
This is one of Florida native grasses usually described as very sturdy and very perennial. One of the things I learned when I started our family garden was that I should pretty much forget all the plants I love and enjoy. The bulbs mostly had to go because the winters here aren't cold enough, and I had a lot of problems dealing with so much sun.
It's not just sun, it's scorching, smoldering heat the burns... combine that with the humidity and all the plants I imagined in my garden were a gonner. I had to learn the hard way but I have finally accepted that I will have to relearn everything and let the land teach me.
One of the finds is this grass, this is its second year in the garden and it is proving to be the most wonderful surprise. It is growing very fast, last year I started with two plants and this year I have three that are double in size of the originals. It has survived the winter and has surprised with an abundance of cute button flowers that resist the heat amazingly.
I love these because they are so delicate!
ReplyDelete